Lateral thinking is a manner of solving problems using an indirect and creative approach via reasoning that is not immediately obvious.
These monthly articles include my finest findings so that you can feed your brain’s pattern recognition system with new input and ideas.
The Meaning Crisis
Jamie Wheal is launching a book about our crisis in meaning and this led me down a rabbit hole of stuff related to sense-making, spirituality, and religion.
- Brian Muraresku talks about contemplative practices and psychedelic sacraments on the Third Wave podcast.
- Sue Phillips talks about spirituality and meaning-making on the HomeGrown Human podcast.
- Unorthodox is a Netflix mini-series that deeply impressed me (what Netflix almost never does). It is about a woman leaving the ultra-orthodox community in New York to uncover and rethink her beliefs in Berlin.
- I am using the word bass music for all kinds of forms of dubstep. But for this recommendation, I am focusing on downtempo bass mixed with live music and world music specifically. HÄANA released a beautiful live set for Bicycle Day. Slow, deep, almost melancholic.
- Thriftworks released several wonky abstract albums in the last few weeks.
- Martha Van Straaten released a set for Women’s Day that makes me just want to join an open-air ecstatic dance.
Enjoy the findings of the month and let me know which resource you liked best by using the contact button on the top!